Many runners understand the importance of listening to the body, especially in the case of trying to prevent an injury as a result of overuse. Runners who are new to this sport can become injured from running excess miles in the beginning. Additionally, injuries can happen from running at accelerated speeds. It is helpful to drink plenty of water during the day, get an adequate amount of rest, and eat foods that are rich in nutrients. People who enjoy the sport of running often alternate going for a run with cardiovascular exercises, which can include cycling and swimming. If you would like more information about how to prevent running injuries, and how they can impact the feet, please consult with a podiatrist.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of Arbor - Ypsi Foot & Ankle Centers. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
- Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Ann Arbor, MI. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.
Get relief today at Arbor - Ypsi Foot & Ankle Centers
At Arbor - Ypsi Foot & Ankle Centers in Ann Arbor, Michigan, we identify your unique foot and ankle needs and develop a highly effective and individualized treatment plan to resolve them. Our experts will work relentlessly to make you feel better and put your best foot forward.